Cooking Time: 8 Minutes
2 cups white wheat flour, plus more for kneading and rolling
1 package (¼ ounce) RapidRise yeast
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon dried basil
1 cup warm water (115°F to 125°F)
2 teaspoons olive oil
¼ pound Italian sausage
½ cup ricotta cheese
4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
oil for misting or cooking spray
marinara sauce for serving
1. Crumble Italian sausage into air fryer baking pan and cook at 390°F for 5minutes. Stir, breaking apart, and cook for 3 to 4minutes, until well done. Remove and set aside on paper towels to drain.
2. To make dough, combine flour, yeast, salt, and basil. Add warm water and oil and stir until a soft dough forms. Turn out onto lightly floured board and knead for 3 or 4minutes. Let dough rest for 10minutes.
3. To make filling, combine the three cheeses in a medium bowl and mix well. Stir in the cooked sausage.
4. Cut dough into 8 pieces.
5. Working with 4 pieces of the dough, press each into a circle about 5 inches in diameter. Top each dough circle with 2 heaping tablespoons of filling. Fold over to create a half-moon shape and press edges firmly together. Be sure that edges are firmly sealed to prevent leakage. Spray both sides with oil or cooking spray.
6. Place 4 calzones in air fryer basket and cook at 360°F for 5minutes. Mist with oil and cook for 3 minutes, until crust is done and nicely browned.
7. While the first batch is cooking, press out the remaining dough, fill, and shape into calzones.
8. Spray both sides with oil and cook for 5minutes. If needed, mist with oil and continue cooking for 3
minutes longer. This second batch will cook a little faster than the first because your air fryer is already
9. Serve with marinara sauce on the side for dipping